Friday, September 15, 2006

starfish-shaped thermometer

I've spent so long browsing other peoples blogs on here that I thought it was about time I took the plunge. Feels vaguely like eating clams for the first time - you think you like it, you're pretty sure you'll do it again but you're going to wait a little while until you tell the world.

Hmmm now I have blank page anxiety - not that uncommon really as I am a writer (that feels weird saying it out loud as I am still making the majority of my income from other means). However, since I'm about to start a Screenwriting course at Napier, I shall be confident and put it out there 'I AM A WRITER'. Yikes.

I can't honestly say I was that confident about getting on to the course first time, but figured I'd at least get some feedback if my application was rejected so I could work on it for next year. But then I got in ACK, and then I really wanted to do the course so had to find funding ACK, and then I got funding through the Career Development Loan Scheme and now I actually have to go ACK (but a small hurrah also as I'm thrilled but a little nervous). I'm Part-time so that takes off a little pressure ACK ACK ACK. Enough of that, its making me gag as I find myself saying it out loud just to hear the sound - bit like a cat coughing up a hairball. I hope its at least a little fun and not too 'arty' though since I did my degree at Art College I guess it can't be THAT arty which is actually something of a relief. Don't get me wrong, I loved my time there in the main and met some great people but I also found the pretentiousness quota a little too high at times. Roll on Napier ACK (damnit).

The title of my blog if you don't already know is the title of an Alfred Hitchcock book. I have a lot of everchanging favourite films but at the moment its Black Narcissus (last week it was Bladerunner) - fact : if I am ever having brain-freeze I ALWAYS say 'Bladerunner'. I'm currently earning my main crust by working as a vintage clothing dealer, and I also freelance as a journalist and designer whilst writing and writing and writing.

PS - the title post refers to a starfish-shaped thermometer that I recently found at a boot fair. It is cast cream and clear plastic set with chunks of irridescent shell and glitter.... it may be bad for you but sometimes (like eclairs), kitsch is goooooooood.

No comments: