A posting on Miss Read's board just reminded me of a conference on Gothic Science Fiction that's happening next week so I had a closer look at the plan for the day. There's some fascinating sounding speakers with topics including :
• Paul Foster (University of Chester) ‘“Monsters Manufactured”: Monsters in H G Wells’s The Island of Dr Moreau’;
• Emily Alder (Napier University). ‘Gateways of Monsters: science-fiction encounters the Gothic in supernatural fiction by Arthur Machen, Algernon Blackwood, and William Hope Hodgson.’;
• Dr Nickianne Moody (Liverpool John Moores University): : “The Gothic-Punk Milieu: Fictional Worlds and Audiences.”;
• Christopher A. Auld (University of Manchester ). ‘Quatermass and the canon: a critical re-appraisal of the 1950s Hammer Quatermass films.’;
• Professor Fred Botting (Director of Institute for Cultural Research): 'Zombie Death Drive: Between Gothic and Science Fiction?'
Considering my assignment for a recent module was 'Small Screen Gothic' it sounds like my kind of thing, and what's even better is that students can apply for free!